Side Ad 1
Marion Times Header
Advertisement Marion teen awakens parents in midst of house fire
by DJ Kauffman Correspondent · March 30th, 2017


During the early morning hours of Wednesday, March 22, Taylor Embrey, 13, a Vernon Middle School student was downstairs in her home, when she heard a noise in the computer room, her father Scott Embrey said during an interview with the Marion Times. As she looked about, she noticed a small fire behind the computer desk. She then ran upstairs and got her dad, who was asleep alongside her mother Sherry.

Scott said he ran downstairs with Taylor and also saw the fire coming from behind the desk on the wall. He said he ran to the kitchen and filled a pitcher with water and threw it on the fire. While saturating the flames for the third time, he said they called 911 because the fire was noticeably growing out of control. Scott said they could not breath well in the midst of the spreading fire's thick smoke. They, along with two cats (Izzy and Hisser), were evacuated by Marion PD officers within minutes and were sent across the street for safety. Sadly a third cat Waffles died in the fire.

Sherry and Taylor were barefoot and took shelter in a squad car while Marion firefighters doused flames shooting at least 15 feet above the roof. They watched as their home of 24 years went up in smoke. Miraculously, the large tree nearest the residence was not harmed during the fire, which ended by 7 a.m. Scott said the Fire Marshall has confirmed the fire started in the basement due to an electrical issue.

The Embrey family said they want to send a big thank you to the Marion PD and Marion FD who risk their lives to help others. They also said their neighbors and the Marion Independent School District have been great. The American Red Cross has also helped with immediate clothing and grocery needs.

In addition, once the Embreys receive information from their insurance company, they will then figure out how to move forward. Scott said they would like to tear down the destroyed structure and rebuild on the same lot if possible.

Scott is the Pizza Hut store manager near Sam's Club, and took a few days off in light of the recent fire. Sherry works at Toyota Financial and also took a short leave as well. Taylor started back to school on Monday. Scott said VMS Principal Phillip Cochran and staff are very supportive and counselors are available for Taylor if needed. The Marion PD also told Scott they will present Taylor with something on Friday, March 31, at 3:45 p.m. This will hopefully encourage her during this time of loss.

Scott and Sherry's oldest daughter, Alexis Embrey King, 28, of Illinois, has begun the Gofundme page -- Embreyfamilyhousefire. Any contribution will greatly help the Embrey's begin the rebuilding process.
Contact the Marion Times
808 6th St. Suite 1
Marion, Iowa 52302
P: (319) 377-7037
F: (319) 377-9535
advertising@mariontimesonline.com
news@mariontimesonline.com
MarionToday.org | Marion Times | The Only Newspaper Serving Marion First
News | Sports | Opinions | Obituaries | Robins | Hiawatha | Archives | Business Directory | City News
Like the Marion Times on Facebook
Web Development by Brian McMillin, LLC
News Sports Opinions Obituaries Archives Business Directory City News Marion Times